Share schemes annual returns: Important update

All companies who operate employee share schemes (or where there have been transactions in shares by employees or directors) need to file a return with HMRC by 6 July 2016 (even if it is a nil return).

As was the case last year, this must be done online, and the information should be submitted on HMRC’s template spreadsheets.

This year HMRC is introducing the process in stages.  At the moment, HMRC is only accepting returns for EMI and non-tax advantaged arrangements, but returns for CSOPs, SAYE schemes and SIPs will be accepted shortly.

If you or your clients would like any assistance with completing your return, please contact Judith Harris on